Friday, August 19, 2005

I nearly lost my way.....

I just got back from Thailand immigration. My non-immigrant visa suppose to end yesterday Ausust 17. I was told by our school to just go to the immigration and show the document which came from the ministry of education and I can extend my visa, but things didn't work out just what they told me. I went at Thailand Immigration last Monday, but to my surprise, they need 10 requirements! What only I had was that one document they gave me. So I need to go back to ask some of the requirements which are from school files. I can't make it to go back since it's already 2pm when I arrived at school. The next day I went back together with ajarn Suthep. Thanks to ajarn for his company. We only spent 20 minutes in the immigaration. But when I was there, it took me so long to explain about the documents I have with me. They can't speak English and could hardly understand English . That's why I spent 30-45 minutes. One thing more was that I need to go back again the next day since I do lack another one document. The immigration told me that I need to pass the letter of recommendation from our school's director, for me to extend one month instead of 14 days only. So that was it. I did it today, my visa was still stamped to expire on August 31, but I still need to go back on 31st for them to stamp it to another 14 days extension that will be on September 16...
Today, I ride by bus. I got lost my way going at immigration. Here in Bangkok, it's hard to ask somebody if you speak English to them. They can't understand. I tried to ask vendors, professionals, even college students who were also in queue waiting for bus, they can't understand English...I need to ask at least 10-15 person just to spot one who can speak English. Today, I met a student and she can understand me and tried to ask a vendor translated in thai on what I'm asking about what bus can I ride going Soi Suan Plu. Unfortunately, I thought the bus she told me was going to the immigration but I ride in a wrong bus! I ended at Hua Lumphong! That was the Bangkok Rail Station! That's far away from the immigration! But since I was there, I just take the opportunity to ask the information . Thanks, somebody can speak and can understand English, of course she's a receptionist! Thanks to her she gave me what I need. She gave me the schedule of train going to Malaysia. I need to ask for it because Bing-bing have plans to go to Malaysia to process her non-immigrant visa. Going out from the station, again, the taxi drivers can't understand English...so I decided to ride by bus. Again, I ride on the same bus the same driver who sent me to Hua Lumphong! I need to go near immigration and ride in a taxi. But the driver and her assistant can't understand. You know what? Eventhough they can't understnd me, they are very much willing to help. The driver's assistant tried to talk and talk and I tried to speak thai to her too. Until one passenger came in and thanks she can speak! So I ride in a taxi and gave the note written in thai (Thailand Immigration, Soi Suan Plu). The thing is, the golden rule here in Thailand, "learn to speak thai so that thai people can understand you better".
I nearly lost my way going to immigration...nearly lost my visa expiration...nearly lost my mind on how to deal talking with thai people (thai people are very helpful eventhough they can't understand you)...nearly lost my money that I save (I have to pay 1900baht for visa extension fee, my bus fare, my taxi fare)...
I nearly lost my way....but I got an adventure out of it....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home